Friday, August 8, 2008

anti-aging, upside down

Aging: flip it and reverse it.

After years of combating gravity, all the organs, especially the heart and the rest of the circulatory system, grow sluggish, which results in less nourishment to our cells and leaves us vulnerable to heart disease, fatty deposits in the blood vessels, varicose veins, and other effects of aging.

Though the effects of gravity are inevitable, we can do a great deal to counteract their impact. Like the original yogis, we can cleverly beat gravity at its own game by turning the body upside down. This simple action benefits the whole body. Early yoga masters stressed the importance of inversions and said that Headstand and Shoulderstand could conquer old age. Entry-level inversions: downward facing dog, or a half-headstand on the wall, or simply lying down with the legs up against the wall.

I was terrified of headstand for many years. For a while I even thought my head was too pointy to balance on. I would get into position against a wall, but I was scared to kick up -- I always thought I'd come crashing down. Then, a few years ago I had a breakthrough. I think partially it was due to better arm/core strength - the head is no factor, and also a moment of alignment enlightenment. Now I'm working on balancing unsupported, anywhere. My friend Alison, who lives out in Colorado, does a headstand on top of every mountain she climbs. Soon, that will be my peak ritual too. Hiking + headstand: beats any anti-aging remedy.

No comments: