Saturday, March 14, 2009

zip it up!

Join Zipcar and get $25 in free driving!

This past November through January, I did not have a car. No car in Atlanta? That's unheard of. How did I get around? Mostly, on my bicycle. No snow here, so I just threw on a few layers and my backpack and pedaled to teach yoga classes. For errands and grocery shopping, I joined zipcar. You may have seen zipcars parked around downtown and midtown. There a zipcar parked a few blocks from my house. After I signed on for a yearly membership, I just reserved a car online for the day and time I needed the car. I received a membership car that I waved above the windshield to open the locks, and with the key inside, off I went. There was always a car nearby when I needed one, and they were new and clean. Occasionally I drove a Prius, a BMW Mini, or the super-efficient Honda Civic. There are also a few small trucks around town that would be good to borrow if you needed to haul furniture or move.

It's a great option for visitors or travel (your zipcar membership is good in tons of cities) or if your car is in the shop. I highly recommend signing on with zipcar, and exploring other options for transportation, like walking/biking, and using marta.

Driving less gives your life a new vantage point. Instead of being enclosed in your car, you're interacting with the environment. When I lived in Chicago, I didn't have a car for two years. I walked or rode public transportation everywhere. I loved it. I read a lot of books on the train. Walking the mile to the El in the morning got my brain and body moving before work, walking home was meditative and calming after a long day, and especially lovely in the warm months. I also super toned legs from all the walking, a positive side benefit. Also, no car insurance, maintenance, and parking fees. So I'm trying to find that same balance here in Atlanta. I have a car now, but my personal code is never to drive when I could walk. So I stroll down to the post office when I'm shipping boxes for my business teddylux. I ride my bike to teach yoga classes. Occansionally DC and I walk or ride bikes to nearby restaurants. Once we rode our bikes to Daddy D'zs, loaded up on barbeque, beer, and fried okra, and the pedal home was torture. :)

seriously, if you are interested in giving zipcar a try, click on the zipcar above and get $25 in free driving credit. Not just in Atlanta, but nationwide.

No comments: