Sunday, March 30, 2008

warmheartedness


In October of 2007, Emory University in Atlanta welcomed the Dalai Lama as an Emory University presidential distinguished professor. My husband Doug and I went to see his wonderful lecture at Centennial Park. All day it threatened to rain, which was unfortunate because the program was outside in the park. Ultimately, the skies were ominously dark, but it didn't rain. His Holiness the Dalai Lama was truly charming. He spoke of "warmheartedness" as the way to cultivate inner peace and happiness, and then reflecting that spirit to the world to foster peace.

My awesome friend Barb gave me a page-a-day calendar of Insights from the Dalai Lama, with a new concept to consider every day. I'm saving so many of them and putting them in my journal. This one reminded me of his speech:

"It is quite simple: if you do not smile at people, but frown at them, they respond similarly, don't they? If you deal with other people in a very sincere, open way, they behave similarly. Everybody wants to have friends and does not want enemies. The proper way to create friends is to have a warm heart, not simply money or power."

No comments: