Thursday, July 10, 2008

independence

this july 4th i declared myself independent of clutter. my zodiac sign is cancer, and i have been a collector and also tend to feel sentimental about all the things i've collected over the years. I'm also big on recycling, and an artist/designer, so i've always got lots of craft materials around, and tend to hold onto things that i can rework and reuse later. My husband has been known to complain (rightfully, unfortunately) that I've covered every surface with stuff.

as i studied yoga philosophy in the past few years, i tried to be more mindful of letting go, non-grasping. The past few months, I have gotten more aggressive with weighing what i have/need and weeding out many, many things - donating to charity. My parents just moved out of the family home of 40 years and we had so much stuff to go through, things that were held onto for years and years but never really used, it sparked me to go through what my husband and I have and reassess.

it feels really good to look across our loft (it's mostly one big, wide, open space, after all) and just see LESS. It feels relaxing, peaceful, and freeing.

the battle for independence over clutter is looking positive- this is a work in progess...

No comments: