Thursday, February 12, 2009

hot hot hot yoga


i've always liked to explore different styles of yoga. when I was first getting hooked on yoga, my main teachers were a fantastic Iyengar teacher and also a great Vinyasa Flow teacher. I loved the alignment focus and detailed attention to poses that I got from my Iyengar teacher, and i totally appreciated the humor and the creativity of my Vinyasa Flow teacher.

My own teaching is a mishmosh of Vinyasa Flow, with a little Power Yoga woven in, with a bit of Iyengar posture focusing and prop use. I always strive for a full body and mind experience, with a balance of workout and relaxation.

My personal yoga practice, in the past few years, has leaned toward Ashtanga and now, hot yoga. I did a few months at a Bikram studio in town, but although I love the sweaty detox feeling of Bikram, the fixed sequence gets a little dull, and for me, I feel the sequence is too skewed toward compression. If I'm feeling warm and loose, I'd rather do more opening poses. In January I visited a Hot Yoga Studio when I was visiting relatives in Ft. Lauderdale. I did a "warm yoga" class that was a lovely blend of Vinyasa flow, lots of Sun Salutations, with a couple of "Bikram's poses" woven within. That's more appealing to me. These days, the heat is key.

No comments: