Tuesday, February 24, 2009

yoga + weight loss

It's not high intensity, but a gentle yoga routine blasts fat as effectively as weight lifting does, says research represented at the American College of Sports Medicine's 2004 conference.

In one of the few studies that have compared these radically different exercise regimens, University of Pittsburgh researchers put 59 obese, inactive women, ages 25 to 55, on a low-fat diet. Everyone walked for 40 minutes 5 days a week; a third of the volunteers did additional strength-training exercises; and another third added a yoga routine 3 days a week.

After 4 months, the yoga devotees dropped an average of 27 pounds - the most!; the strength trainers whittled away 23; and the walking-only group lost 20. Study author Kara Gallagher, PhD, an exercise physiologist, warns that the differences aren't big enough to conclude that yoga is better than dumbbells. But it appears to be a soothing option with a surprising power to fend off excess pounds, equal or exceeding strength training with weights.

source: from Prevention.com

The yoga classes I teach have plenty of sun-salutations, which engages, flexes, and extends all of your major muscle groups. Additionally, you are consistently lifting your own body weight, building strength, burning calories. Many new students say, "I didn't think I'd sweat in yoga, but I sure did!" Yet, a yoga workout is much more gentle than doing reps in a harshly lit gym, pumping iron. I speak from experience - I've definitely put in gym time. But I must say, I never walked away from a session of lifting weights feeling as de-stressed, centered, and rejuvenated as I do with yoga. And that's all the difference in the world.

No comments: